This painting started out as a water colour sketch on site in the spring. I worked it up into this panting. I glazed the painting down before lifting the tones for the light through the trees. This is the tank road that was used to load ships during the "D" day operations.
On yet another sitting I am finally happy with the over all tones of this painting. I will allow the oils to dry over the next few weeks and will then add a varnish. I am undecided if it will require a tinted coating as I like the fresh colours. UPDATE 11/08/11: I have added a tinted glaze then brought the light tones back up to add depth to the picture. Now I have to wait for it to dry!!!!!!
I have started this picture after been anchored at Turnaware last weekend. I started by doing a water colour study on site, the campers on the far shore had their camp fire going for breakfast! In the studio I first filled out the canvas to make sure the tonal effect was correct. Next couple of days I worked on the detail of the overall picture and the figure with the boat. This painting is now drying so I can do some glazing down so I can pick out the light. I will update as this picture develops.